Facts and Statistics About Child Support
While battles over child support and failure to pay child support are big problems in America, there are many other facets to this complicated, yet under-reported topic. Some little-known facts include:
- Although men are most frequently the providers of child support, 15% of all people who pay child support are women.
- The average child support payment made in the U.S. is $430 a month.
- About 30% of all custodial parents never receive one cent of the child support legally due to them — even if they have a court order for child support.
- Child support money is completely tax-free income for the recipient but is not tax-deductible for the person paying it.
- Child support and visitation rights are two distinct and different legal matters.
Overall, there are many myths and misconceptions about child support that may taint your view before you and your ex-spouse begin the process. When in doubt, get expert insight from a family law attorney.